Lightning bolts can extend for 16 kilometres from the very active leading or trailing edges of a storm, meaning the blue sky above you is no safety blanket. To protect yourself, employ basic lightning safety measures anytime thunderstorms are in the vicinity.
- Avoid prominent ridges.
- If you are boating, get to shore as quickly as you can.
- Set up camp away from tall trees and exposed places.
- Take shelter in an area of small trees.
- Assume the lightning position: crouch on the balls of your feet, preferably on a sleeping pad.
- If in a group, spread out in a straight line at least 15 feet apart to reduce the chances of a lightning strike jumping from one person to the next.