It’s tax time. Boo!

But remember, if you reside in the province of Ontario, you can claim your camping trips this year. Yay!

The Happy Camper

The government of Ontario announced the “temporary” tax benefit during the earlier part of 2022. It was a plan to provide an estimated $270 million to help the tourism and hospitality sectors that were hurt during Covid. It was also a way to encourage the people of Ontario, especially families, to explore their own province.

The Ontario Staycation Tax Credit allows an Ontario resident to claim 20 per cent of their eligible 2022 accommodation expenses when filing their personal Income Tax and Benefit Return for 2022.

You can claim eligible expenses of up to $1,000 as an individual or $2,000 if you have a spouse, common-law partner or eligible children (only one individual per family can claim the credit for the year) to get back up to $200 as an individual or $400 as a family. If you do not have a spouse or common-law partner or eligible child, you can claim your own expenses for the credit.

The Happy Camper

So, if you reserved a backcountry or front-country campsite, you can claim it as accommodation. The credit covers short-term stays that have HST applied. Just make sure you kept your receipt. The receipt should include the location of the accommodation, the amount paid, the GST/HST paid, the date of the stay and the name of who paid the amount.

The credit provides an estimated $270 million to support over 1.5 million families to further discover Ontario. If you have questions about the tax credit, contact the Ontario Budget Hotline at 1-800-337-7222.

The Happy Camper

Take note, just accommodation can be claimed. You’re out of luck with things like firewood or ingredients for s’mores. And it has to be a tent pad or cabin. It doesn’t include a timeshare agreement or a stay on a boat, train or other vehicle that can be self-propelled.


More in Camping: