Welcome to episode 6 of Explore Magazine’s Live the Adventure Podcast.
Kevin Callan is one of Canada’s best-known outdoor personalities. You might know him better by his persona—The Happy Camper. He’s authored 18 books, has almost 17,000 subscribers on YouTube, is a blogger for Explore online and a columnist for our print issue… among many other things.
He also has a new book out—his 18th. It’s called “Once Around Algonquin: An Epic Canoe Journey.”
This one is a departure for him, both in content and execution. It’s a personal story, centred around a meaningful canoe trip he embarked on with his friend Andy Baxter.
Once Around Algonquin is more than a travelogue though—it's a meditation on park history, wilderness, family, struggle and the importance of nature.
We get deep. This is one of Kevin's most personal projects to date—and there is a lot to unpack.
But don't worry—it's not all serious. He is, of course, The Happy Camper.
Here we go, with Kevin Callan:
In This Episode You'll Learn
- All about one of Algonquin Provincial Park's most challenging canoe routes
- How to tackle a multi-week canoe journey
- How immersing yourself in the wilderness can heal the mind (and body!)
- The process of writing a personal, long-form narrative
- How you too can have success in the world of self-publishing
- And more!
Links Mentioned in this Episode
- Once Around Algonquin: An Epic Canoe Journey
- The Happy Camper (YouTube Channel)
- The Happy Camper (blog)
- Algonquin Outfitters (Meanest Link)
- IngramSpark (self-publishing)