• Put 3/4 cup of quick cooking oats on a 35-cm square of foil.
• Add raisins and/or other dried fruits and a sprinkle of nutmeg or cinnamon (and sugar if you like).
• Fold up into a packet and label.
• To cook, open the foil packet and plump it up into a bowl shape. Pour in one cup of water. Twist the top securely. Place on coals and cook about three minutes. Eat right from the packet and dishes are done. If you like it with milk, instant does the trick.
Spicy Rice Packets
• Put one cup of instant rice on a 35-cm square of foil that has been greased with one tablespoon of sesame oil.
• Add a tablespoon dried onion soup mix, black pepper, crushed dried chillies to taste and dried broken shiitake mushrooms, if desired. Fold up.
• To cook, proceed as above, adding one cup of water. When packet comes to a boil, remove from heat and let stand until water is absorbed.
Foil Baked Trout (or catch of the day)
• Place dressed whole fish on greased square of foil. Season inside and out with salt and pepper.
• Fold up securely and bake, turning several times, for 15 minutes or longer depending on size and thickness of catch.
Beans & Sausage
• Open a can of pork and beans, dump onto a sheet of foil.
• Add sliced sausage and few whole cloves of peeled garlic.
• Bake on the rock for 15 minutes.
• If using lean sausages or wieners, grease the foil first.
• Pack a wire clothes hanger & aluminum foil.
• Bend hanger into a loop, cover loop with foil.
• Grease the foil.
• Crack egg onto foil, fry over campfire.
Excerpted from Western Sportsman magazine. Original author, Linda Gabris.